Friday, September 25, 2015

Preparing a test VM - Videos

Hello,

I streamed some streams in livecoding.tv. They are of poor quality because of a number of reasons.

1) It was first time I ever streamed something, I learned as I went.
2) I was very tired or inconvenient in most of them since I tried to stream in late hours or in my very limited spare time.
3) My upload bandwidth is not enough to stream in a better quality. Unfortunately sometimes I have frame drops and connection is lost between some streams.

Link to my channel.


Note: Some of the videos are unavailable right now as livecoding.tv explains here. I hope they fix it soon.

29.08.15 - link1 - link2: My biggest mistake here is leaving the sound of my stream open. I did it to make sure that I stream does not stop because of bandwidth issues. However I later realized that when I say a word, I wait to hear it for a few seconds and that makes me sound like sleep-talking. I don't suggest watching this one if you are not really interested. 

What I do in these two streams is, I create a filesystem, download and copy some files, configure Gentoo and configure kernel. Some stuff did not go as I planned and I ended up waiting too long. I talk about linux kernel and modules and stuff in the mean time. Also in the end I disable most of the kernel modules as I talk about them - that is after 55:00 in first video and probably very boring. I talk a little about QEMU after 15:00 in second video. I end when I have a QEMU PC with kvm which I connect over serial port.

07.09.15 - link1 - link2 - link3: I continue with kernel and modules. I write some path wrong and end up wasting too much time thinking that I can't compile modules correctly. You can just skip between 30:00 and 55:00 in first video. Also my guests come at the end of the first video and I didn't mute the mic so you can hear me talking to them (very emberassing :( ). I talk about virtualization and virtual hardware in QEMU.

13.09.15 - link1- link2: I talk much more fluently in this one. I talk about network config I wrote in fifth article. I talk most of the time about kernel development environments. I compile a module and run it. I talk about char devices. I crash the kernel and take a look at stackdump.

In general I could not put much effort into streaming but I loved it. I really liked the idea of livecoding.tv. I think they can improve it in various ways but of course programming has very diverse fields and it is not possible to cover them all. I wish I had more bandwidth to improve stream quality. I also wish I had more free time so that I could do scheduled streams every week. If it wasn't for livecoding, I wouldn't record my desktop and edit it and upload it to youtube or some other place. 

Finally, here is a link to all my videos

No comments:

Post a Comment